April Executive Committee Minutes 2022
A regular meeting of the Executive Committee was held, via Zoom, on Tuesday evening, April 11, 2022. The meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m. by Sara Casassa.
Present: Sara Casassa – President, Alan Lewis – Vice President, Craig Seymour – Treasurer, Mary Ellen Morse -Secretary, Erik Browning, Reggie Hall, Katie Johnson, Sarah Holmes, and Jeff Ristau – Manager
Secretary’s Report – Mary Ellen Morse
Tiffany volunteered to keep minutes for the March EC meeting in Mary Ellen’s absence. Tiffany was unable to attend the April EC meeting so minutes for the March EC meeting will be presented for approval at the next regularly scheduled EC meeting.
Treasurer’s Report – Craig Seymour
·        Craig Seymour presented the Financial Report to the Executive Committee.
·        All spring dues invoices were sent out to members via US mail or email. Payments are being received.
·        Fees for lockers were mistakenly omitted from invoices and will be sent to members separately. Jeff is reviewing the invoicing process with Craig to avoid this issue in the future.
·        The EC discussed costs associated with credit card processing. The EC agreed to examine the issue further and look at alternatives (e.g. charging the credit card processing fees to members).
·        Sara Casassa, as current President of the Club, is authorized as the new signer to make decisions on the merchant account.
·        The Club continues to be in a strong financial position. The current P&L is on par with the P&L from last year at this time.
·        Craig answered questions from the EC and the Financial Report was accepted unanimously.
Manager’s Report – Jeff Ristau
·        Jeff has been working with suppliers to open the Club.
·        Jeff has been working with Nicole on payroll projections. Former employees have been contacted about returning this season and he is working to secure new staff, where needed.
·        Jeff  has found someone to work the front desk past-time and is optimistic she will be able to assist with managerial activities as the season progresses.
·        Hart Plumbing has turned the water on for the season. Two small leaks were identified and will be repaired next week.
·        Hart Plumbing is scheduled to assess the saltwater line. Based on feedback from Hart Plumbing, he is not optimistic it can be repaired. Jeff will continue to reach out to other service providers should Hart Plumbing be unable and/or unwilling to repair.
·        Alan suggested we form a subcommittee of members, with applicable expertise, to examine potential solutions for the saltwater line.
·        Provided there is staff available, Jeff plans to have the sea deck in place by the end of the month.
·        Patrick Mulligan will be cleaning and staining the deck in the coming weeks. The stain used in prior year has been discontinued, but Mulligan has assured Jeff matching the current stain will not be an issue.
·        Jeff discussed gutter installation with Sky High Roofing. Supply chain issues have impacted the ability to obtain metal gutters. Once Sky High is able to source the gutters, they will provide Jeff with an estimate.
·        Jeff met with Albedio from the Cleaning Co. and his mason to assess the leak in the chimney. Albedio suggested the chimney needs to be repointed. Jeff will obtain an estimate for the work.
·        Dave Seaward will be working with Jeff to repair any deck ridges.
Membership – Sarah Holmes
·        Two deaths were reported.
·        One marriage was reported.
·        One birth was reported.
·        Membership counts are as follows:
277 total units
93 single
86 spousal
98 family
656 total members
Swim – Erik Browning
·        Based on the survey results, the swim team will revert back to a pre-covid practice schedule. The team will practice as one group Monday – Friday.
Social – Tiffany McCann
·        There were no social updates were presented this month.
Facilities – Laura Schwartz/Alan Lewis
·       Laura and Alan presented updates regarding the bubble and potential dining renovation.
·       Careno Construction has worked through architect candidates to develop a rendering and design(s) for renovating the bubble and dining room.
·       Careno recommended Destefano Maugel Architects.
·       A quote was provided in the amount of $5,800 (fixed fee). Careno estimated cost to oversee the work would be ~$2000.
·       The EC inquired as to whether Careno could provide a scaled back rendering for the purpose of presenting the conceptual design to the membership and Board for review and approval. Members expressed concern with spending the full amount if the project was not supported by membership and/or approved by the Board.
·       Alan will work with Careno to determine if scaled back design work and renderings can be completed for less than the proposed cost.
Long Range Planning – Reggie Hall
·        Reggie provided a proposal from Jones & Beach in the amount of $18,300 for engineering and permitting work required for revetment work.
·        Reggie has been working to obtain a second quote from Ambit as the initial quote they provided in 2020 was $10,000. Reggie has not had a response to his emails nor voicemails.
·        Reggie stressed the importance of obtaining the engineering and permitting work in the coming months if we are to have a design for review by membership at the Annual Meeting.
·        Craig made a motion to spend up to $15,000 on engineering and permitting work for the revetment. The motion was seconded and carried.
Technology – Katie Johnson
·        The ACH payments as an alternate payment method on the website has not been added. Katie will follow up with Stoutheart on when this functionality will be added to the website.
New Business
·        The EC agreed that based on the State guidelines pertaining to Covid, there will be no Covid related restrictions in place this season.
·        Should State guidelines change, restrictions may need to be added.
Old Business
·        Alan provided recommendations from the Guest Policy Subcommittee. The subcommittee considered several options to address guest usage of the Club.
·        The subcommittee recommended the Club implement a $10 fee per guest on weekend days (8:00-4:30). The fee would be implemented on a trial basis only.
·        The EC discussed limiting the weekends for which members would be charged a guest fee as weekends early and late in the season are typically not as busy.
·        The EC agreed that weekends from from July 2 – August 21 are historically the busiest.
·        EC members discussed whether the fee was appropriate and on par with other clubs.
·        Erik commented that Club facilities are impacted by guest usage and guest fees would help mitigate the cost to repair or maintain facilities.
·        The question was asked as to whether significant others would be subject to the guest fee. EC members agreed that significant others would be exempt as the member for whom he/she is a significant is charged a significant other fee for the season.
·        The subcommittee recommended the Club maintain one member only day on Wednesdays from 8:00 – 4:30 pm.
·        The subcommittee further recommended the EC amend the current rule regarding a member being allowed to bring only the number of guests that can comfortably seated around a table. The subcommittee felt the current rule was confusing and not applicable.
·        Sara made a motion to maintain one member only day on Wednesdays from 8:00 – 4:30. The motion was seconded and carried.
·        Erik made a motion to assess a guest fee of $10 on weekend days (8:00-4:30) from July 2 – August 21. The motion was seconded and carried.
·        Sara provided an update from the New Member Subcommittee. The subcommittee was established to review current procedures for admitting new members. Recommendations include introducing the applicant to the EC and Board in a social setting (e.g. cocktail hour, etc.)., requiring sponsors to introduce applicants to EC and Board members, and permitting applicants to withdraw his/her application should the application be denied.
·        Given the late hour, the EC will further discuss these recommendations at the upcoming EC meetings.
A motion to adjourn regular meeting was made by Craig and seconded by Sara at 9:07
Next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 10, 2022, at 7:00.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Mary Ellen Morse, Secretary.