Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

A regular meeting of the Executive Committee was held, at the Beach Club, on Tuesday evening, September 8, 2020. The meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by Gail Sudduth.

Present: Gail Sudduth – President, Sara Casassa – Vice President, Craig Seymour – Treasurer, Mary Ellen Morse -Secretary, Erik Browning , Alan Lewis, Tiffany McCann, Reggie Hall, Katie Johnson and Jeff Ristau – Manager

Absent: Meganne Fabrega

Secretary’s Report – Mary Ellen Morse

A motion was made to approve the August Executive Committee meeting minutes. The motion was seconded and carried. The minutes will be posted on the website.

Treasurer’s Report – Craig Seymour

  • Craig Seymour presented the Financial Report to the Board.
  • Craig answered questions about specific line items in the Budget Report.
  • A question was raised about the “Ladies Event” line item. Craig explained the expense resulted from prepayment of books for BC Book Club. Members will be making payment to the Club for the cost of the books.
  • Craig has been able to add functionality allowing expenses to be categorized by vendor which provides the ability to compare expenses from previous years.
  • The Financial Report was accepted unanimously.

Manager’s Report – Jeff Ristau

  • Jeff reported that we had just enough staff to keep things running smoothly through the holiday weekend.
  • Lifeguards will be present through Sunday 13 Beginning on Monday, September 14th only adult swim from 10-6 will be permitted.
  • The snack bar was busy over the holiday weekend resulting in a large amount of inventory being consumed. Jeff will catalog all excess inventory for next year and sell or return, if permissible, any remaining inventory.
  • Jeff will begin winterizing the Club after closing. Hart Plumbing will be closing the pool and a boiler cleaning and winterizing will also be scheduled.
  • Due to the large number of windstorms we will need to purchase more umbrellas for next year.
  • The EC discussed the paddleboard and surfboard storage issue at length. Lack of space and effective monitoring continues to be a challenge. Removal of boards at the conclusion of the season presents additional challenges. The EC agreed to discuss the issue and formalize a policy for next summer.

Membership – Gail Sudduth

  • As of September 8, 2020, the membership counts are 279 total units (93 single, 89 spousal, 97 family) for a total of 651 members.
  • There was one death, one birth and one change from single to spousal.
  • There was one legacy eligible for membership in August (8/31), the letter was received so she will be eligible to be considered for membership next season. Another legacy-eligible member whose birthday is next April also submitted his intention to exercise his legacy option.
  • One complete application for regular membership has been received.
  • Future Topics for Membership:
    • Legacy memberships (Sara’s request)
    • New member admittance procedure (Ann Malpass)

Swim – Erik Browning

  • The swim season has concluded so no report was presented.
  • There was some discussion about questions to include in the annual survey.
  • A suggestion was made to include all members in the swim program survey rather than only parents of swimmers as many other members (e.g. grandparents) are interested in the future of the program.
  • The survey will be discussed at the October EC meeting.

Social – Tiffany McCann

  • All Together Now, a Beatles cover band, played on August 23, 2020 and was well received by the membership. The event was well attended, and members were able to safely social distance.
  • All Together Now expressed interest in returning to play next summer. Tiffany will work with them on scheduling.
  • Tiffany will begin working on 2021 calendar shortly in hopes that we will be able to hold social events next summer.
  • We had 50 members place orders through the “Pop Up Shop” and approximately 130 items were ordered. Many orders have been fulfilled and feedback from members has been excellent.
  • The Club incurred no cost for the site as the fees were built into the cost of the merchandise. Members did not need to pay shipping fees
  • A proposal to offer the shop again next year was made and the Board unanimously agreed. Tiffany will work PromoCentric to roll the site out earlier so members may have merchandise earlier in the season.

Facilities – Alan Lewis

  • Alan updated the Board on the facilities initiatives.
  • Careno provided a beach access design proposal for review. The proposal was comprised of three stages (i.e. Concepts, Design Development and Planning Board Approvals) which would be required prior to developing a construction plan. The total cost of the three pre-construction phases is $21,400. The Board agreed the Club should explore alternative options before moving forward and will discuss further.
  • The flashing from the new skylights blew off during high winds. Chinburg will repair the flashing under our warranty and will ensure the remaining flashing is adequately installed.

Long Range Planning – Reggie Hall

  • Reggie presented the initial findings from the N.H. Coastal Landowner Technical Assistance Program (“CLTAP”). The recommendations are designed to enhance the resilience of the Club and mitigate the impact of sea level rise. Some of the key recommendations discussed were as follows:
    • Flood insurance should not lapse even if law or regulation does not require it. In 2021, EMA will be releasing revised Flood Insurance Program maps that reflect a rise in sea level and the Club would likely not be able to secure another policy.
    • CLTAP suggested implementing a monitoring program from fixed points to document changes to the Club and the shoreline. The documentation from monitoring may help us secure grants and other funding needed to adapt to change. Katie suggested this may be done as part of the technology committee.
    • CLTAP suggested the Club consider engaging a coastal engineer to understand concepts and potential costs for elevating and/or re-configuring units of the Club in the future.
    • LTAP does not recommend “hard shorelines”, but suggest we revisit maintenance and improvement of our existing revetment.
  • The EC discussed opportunities (e.g. grants) that may be available to the Club due to its historic designation. It was suggested we reach out to other historic clubs to explore.
  • Alan and Reggie will discuss obtaining quotes to improve our existing revetment.

Technology – Katie Johnson

  • There was an issue on the website whereby members were unable to make payments online. The issue has been resolved.
  • The EC discussed including questions around technology initiatives on the annual survey.

New Business

One position has become available on the Board of Directors. Sarah Holmes has been asked to fill the position and has accepted.

Old Business

None to report

Motion to adjourn meeting Gail, seconded by Craig.

Meeting adjourned at 8:31pm

Next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for October 14, 2020 at 7:00 pm via Zoom.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Mary Ellen Morse, Secretary.