OCTOBER 2020 EC MEETING MINUTES
February 04, 2021
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
A regular meeting of the Executive Committee was held, at the Beach Club, on Tuesday evening, October 13, 2020. The meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by Gail Sudduth.
Present: Gail Sudduth – President, Sara Casassa – Vice President, Craig Seymour – Treasurer, Mary Ellen Morse -Secretary, Erik Browning , Alan Lewis, Tiffany McCann, Reggie Hall, Katie Johnson and Jeff Ristau – Manager
Secretary’s Report – Mary Ellen Morse
A motion was made to approve the September Executive Committee meeting minutes. The motion was seconded and carried. The minutes will be posted on the website.
Treasurer’s Report – Craig Seymour
- Craig Seymour presented the Financial Report to the Executive Committee.
- Craig answered questions about specific line items in the Budget Report.
- Despite the impact of Covid, the Club continues to be in good shape financially.
- The Financial Report was accepted unanimously.
Manager’s Report – Jeff Ristau
- Jeff provided the Executive Committee with an update on the winterization process.
- South Shore Gunite has closed the pool for the winter. Winterization of the pool included lowering the water level to avoid tiles being damaged as a result of the water freezing, blasting out and capping all jets and lines, removing the railings and shocking the water for the winter.
- Denron HVAC winterized the new pool heater. Denron suggested the heater should be protected from winter elements if possible. Jeff will be wrapping the heater in tarps or plastic to protect the heater from moisture.
- Precision Pump and Repair will be coming to take the pool pump out for the season. They will remove, clean, paint and store the pump for the season.
- Hart Plumbing is scheduled to shut the water off Nov. 2nd.
- The kitchen is being cleaned which includes degreasing and organizing. Once completed, Philbrick Septic will clean the grease trap.
- The deck is being broken down and all furnishings will be placed in storage.
- Natural Home and Deck started pressure washing and applying the winter maintenance coat of stain to the deck.
- The sea deck will be broken down in the coming weeks.
- Jeff is obtaining estimates for the Club’s three roofs and the compromised skylights. To date, he has met with Seacoast Roofing and J. Carnes & Sons.
- Jeff is working with Kathy to address late address changes, billing questions etc. on Fall invoices.
Membership – Gail Sudduth
- As of October 13, 2020, the membership counts are 279 total units (92 single, 180 spousal, 381 family) for a total of 653 members.
- There was one change from single to spousal.
- One legacy exercised his/her membership option.
- One individual has been added to the Priority waitlist and
- One individual has been added to the Regular waitlist.
Swim – Erik Browning
- The swim season has concluded so no report was presented.
Social – Tiffany McCann
- Tiffany reported that she is beginning to work on the 2021 social calendar.
- In the event larger events are not an option, looking to bring in more music nights throughout the season.
- Pop Up Shop reopened in September for three weeks.
- Gear has started arriving and the feedback is great.
- Working with PromoCentric to offer the site again next summer and potentially include additional merchandise.
Facilities – Alan Lewis
- Alan updated the Board on the facilities initiatives.
- Alan, Jeff and Reggie met with Bauer Construction to get an estimate to improve/repair existing revetment in front of the Club. Bauer suggested digging along the foundation to install erosion fabric. In lieu of the suggested ten ton rocks, Bauer would use smaller rocks to create a tight fit.
- Design elements (e.g. a flat top to rest the grill and sea deck on, fire pits, stairs, benches, etc.) can be included in the design.
- The work would have to be done between Labor Day and Memorial Day to permit equipment access on the beach.
- Based on the scope presented, the work would take two to three months to complete and the tentative cost could be $300-350,000 depending on features included.
- Bauer recommended the Club work with Ambit Engineering to produce a plan and assist with the permitting process.
Long Range Planning – Reggie Hall
- Reggie has been working with Alan on the improvements and repairs to the existing revetment.
- Details of the meeting with Bauer were included in Alan’s update regarding facilities.
- The Long Range Planning Committee will need to be convened to review the LTAP report and rank the Club’s facilities for resilience.
Technology – Katie Johnson
- Katie presented a draft of the 2020 annual survey for discussion.
- Questions not applicable this season due to Covid restrictions (e.g. questions related to social events and swim team) were removed.
- The EC discussed the draft 2020 Annual survey.
- The survey will be left open until November 30, 2020.
- A suggestion was made to include a separate survey for those members with children in the swim program. It was decided that should a swim program survey be appropriate based on responses to the Annual survey, it would be sent separately to those members with children in the program.
- The EC discussed adding questions specific to the 2020 season (e.g. how members’ use of the Club differed from previous years, did the “no guest” policy prompt members to consider amending the current guest policy, etc.)
- The EC reviewed the 2017 Membership Committee to consider whether questions related to the guest policy may be appropriate to include in the survey considering feedback received regarding the “no guest” policy for the 2020 season.
- A question was raised as to whether we wanted to include questions about the front desk staff requiring all members to sign in and the monitoring of the parking lot. It was suggested those items are already covered under existing questions and we should work to keep the survey as short as possible.
- EC members will review the draft survey and submit all suggested changes to Katie by the end of day October 19
- Katie will incorporate the comments and a new draft will be distributed to the EC by the end of the following week.
None to report
Motion to adjourn meeting Gail, seconded by Craig. Meeting adjourned at 8:52pm
Next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for November 10, 2020 at 7:00 pm via Zoom.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Mary Ellen Morse, Secretary.